Monday 1 August 2011

Harare, here we are!

Well, there’s nothing like getting up at 4:30am to catch a plane.

Johannesburg  wasn’t nearly as cold as I was expecting it to be but the tips of my ears were feeling the chill while we were transferring between planes so I can only imagine how cold it has been there this winter.

As I expected, the chirps began to fly right away. Seems like the dam walls just burst when OB crews get together. Story’s fly left right and centre and it’s hard to keep up, never mind document!

Andrews one chirp was classic and he started the day with a great knock knock joke and it went like this, knock knock? Who’s there? Runnip. Runnip who! This came about from talking about cricket tours to India and Indian food, more specifically dhal.

Starting a day as early as this one leaves my head fuzzy and it showed. When drawing money from the ATM in Johannesburg. I left R400, 00. behind in the jaws of the machine while I went into the bank to query something else. Another bank customer using the ATM after me noticed and came into the bank to let me know but by the time I got back out the money had already been swallowed. Bank says they should credit my account once they ‘balance’ the ATM at the end of the day. I can only pray!

Thankfully my luggage arrived, wasn’t the case (small pun?) last time, and we hit the hotel, today was only a travel day. At least we have electricity and other amenities. Internet in the rooms is woeful but the business centre is, well, the business.

Some interesting stories next time from the airport bus ride to the hotel.


The really huge space at the departure gates in Johannesburg.



My Durban cohort, Andrew.



I am sure Andrew’s shoes are going to invite his pants down for a party sometime soon.



Pete and his fabulous hanky.



 Noticed nice green crop circles on final approach into Harare.
Suppose that means they are growing their own food now?




I’m not sure if many people have noticed this but I sure did awhile back.
The microphone hanging from the ceiling at baggage collections.
What’s that all about?






Air Zimbabwe, thankfully we don’t fly with them, so I’m hoping. We may just though from here to Bulawayo. Z, our producer is not quite sure yet how we’re going to get to Bulawayo. My last flight with Zim air was, hair raising, to say the least. We’ll have to wait and see.



Since independence Zimbabwe has really flourished.




No comments:

Post a Comment